Friday, August 1, 2008

Zucchini Couscous

I love, love, love, zucchini. All things zucchini. So I thought that i'd make couscous and add zucchini to it. So easy really!! I used a whole wheat couscous that included a Parmesan cheese packet. Of course it's really up to you what you'd like to do. I thought the cheese would add some extra flavor but you could certainly leave it out or buy couscous that was plain. (This particular one was on sale-that's why I chose it.)


ZUCCHINI COUSCOUS
In a large stock pot bring 1 1/4 C of water or broth to a boil (I used homemade chicken stock but if you don't have homemade, store bought it fine, just make sure it's low sodium)

Once at a boil, turn off heat and add couscous, stirring to incorporate all couscous. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

In the meantime, in a small skillet put 2 med. zucchini's cut up in 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Stir and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the zucchini are tender.



Once zucchini are cooked, check on the couscous and fluff with a fork. Add the zucchini and viola! You have a scrumptious side dish that the whole family will enjoy. (I could eat this whole pot by myself).


* The cheese packet in my couscous made it slightly saltier than I like. I am not a big salt eater. So if you don't mind it you can use the whole packet. I think next time I will only use 1/2 of the packet.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin