Thursday, February 19, 2009

Soups for the soul

And now...back to the food. I have 2 yummy soup recipes! And the great part....they are both made in the crockpot! The are my tweaked versions of the crock pot ladies recipes. She's awesome! Did you catch her on GMA this morning? I have yet to try her buffalo chicken lasagne recipe, it looked delish. But back to these soups.....

Seafood Chowder
1 lb of white fish I used ocean perch (use whatever your family likes)
3 cups of chicken broth
5 potatoes, cubed
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 white onion, chopped
handful baby carrots (I used a very hearty handful), chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
black pepper to taste
1 pound frozen 70/90 shrimp (to add later)
1 cup heavy whipping cream (to add later)

Cut up the fish into large bite size portions, it's okay if it's still frozen.

Dump everything except the cream and the shrimp into your crock pot

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the potatoes are tender. If your veggies are too big for your taste, use an immersion blender to smooth it out. Since i don't have one I used a potoato masher and it left chunks which I LOVED!!!

30 minutes before serving, stir in your cup of cream and the frozen shrimp. Turn your crockpot to high for the last 30 minutes.

We served this with a crusty bread and a side salad. My husband thought it was great and the kids were mixed on it. They aren't big soup people. My 2 year old ate it all up and asked for more. So there you go.... I hope you like it!



and now for the super yummy-oh don't get me wrong...that chowder was wonderful, but I hold a special place in my heart for this one. There used to be a fancy restaurant in the town I grew up in. My first experience with this soup was there. I was on a date with my boyfriend and I ordered it. Fell in love instantly. So good. So when I saw this recipe I was beside myself. I tweaked it a tad and let me tell you, the end result is soooooooo good!!!

French Onion Soup
4 cans of beef broth
4 T butter
3 large onions
1 T granulated sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
salt to taste
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 C dehydrated onions
french bread in slices, or whatever crusty bread you like. I used a whole wheat baguette
Mozzarella cheese, shredded

Heat your crockpot to high and plop your butter in to start melting
Slice the yellow onions into rings and -break up the onion slices with your fingers, and rub them around in the melted butter (at this point if you are going to let it cook longer don't forget to turn your temperature down to low).
Add the beef broth, sugar, chicken broth, dehydrated onions and garlic cloves
Cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 10-12. It takes a while for the onions to get translucent and pliable, I cooked mine for 8 hours and it was perfect!!!

Just before serving:
Preheat your oven to a low broil
place the bread on a cookie sheet and top with cheese (however much you like, I like it extra cheesy)
Broil until the cheese turns a light brown.
Ladle soup into bowls and float each bread and cheese piece on top. Add extra cheese around the soup as desired.
Not as big of a hit with the kiddos, but I really loved it. The husband thought it was ok too. So maybe not one I'll do all the time, but I just had to give it a try. It took me right back to that restaurant when I had it the first time. And that's just what a good meal is supposed to do, take you somewhere. I hope it can do the same for you!!!

HAPPY EATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

I love soup and these look great.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin