Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

I love having biscuits with dinner. It's usually not a complete dinner without some sort of bread product with. I'm a product of a southern culture. My grandmother would make biscuits 3 times a day and I have yet to be able to duplicate her recipe. They were fabulous!! Of course I also can't recreate her fried chicken, but that's another story for another day. My grandmother was an awesome cook. My mom is too. I am trying to be. I did find this really yum recipe while watching BAREFOOT CONTESSA one day on Food Network. It's one of my favorite shows. She was doing brunch recipes and did this particular biscuit. I had buttermilk leftover in the fridge from the red velvet cake I made earlier. So this was perfect!

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits
2 C all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp cold butter (I used margarine and I couldn't tell a difference), diced
1/2 C cold buttermilk
1 cold extra large egg
1 C grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp water or milk

Preheat oven to 425.
Place 2 C flour, baking powder and salt in stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. With mixer on low, add butter and mix until the butter becomes the size of peas. Combine buttermilk & egg and add to flour mixture. Mix only until moistened. Mix cheddar cheese with a little bit of flour and add to dough (the flour will keep the cheese from settling on the bottom while baking). Mix until roughly combined.
Dump out onto a floured surface and knead about 6 times. Roll dough into a rectangle shape. Using a floured knife cut into 8 (or more-I made mine a little smaller) biscuits. Transfer to a baking sheet sprayed with Pam or lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with egg wash (I just used some buttermilk).
Bake 20-25 minutes.

SO GOOD!!!

HAPPY EATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin