I don't know if you guys celebrate this day or not. Either way, what we will have for dinner could go with any night. I didn't want to do the traditional corned beef, because, well I'm not a huge fan of it and I knew my kids wouldn't be fans either. So....i looked up some other recipes and found this one. Enjoy!!!
Irish Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- In large, heavy pot, combine soup, water, chicken, celery, onion, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, shred it, and return to pot. Add peas and cook only 5 minutes longer.
- Add dumplings. To make dumplings: Mix baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto BOILING stew. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
And for dessert we are doing this lovely little gem:
photo courtesy of oopsie daisy
* Instant vanilla pudding (with a bit of green food coloring)
* Whipped cream
* Oreo and sprinkles
* Foil-wrapped chocolate (I used some peanut butter filled dove chocolates)
* Clear plastic cup
Now mix up the pudding.
Combine 2 Tablespoons instant pudding with 3 Tablespoons milk. Stir well. It will thicken up a bit. Place the chocolate in the bottom of the cup.
I transferred the pudding to the cup now. I added some whipped cream, an Oreo, and yes, even some green sprinkles!
If you want full details for the this recipe head on over to oopsie daisy here.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!