Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tonight I took a recipe from 30 Minute Meals and Rachael Ray. I just happened to be flipping channels a while back when I saw her making this. So I figured I just had to try it. Looked too good to pass up. My family LOVES lasagna and thought this would be a nice twist. She really does come up with some great ideas. Makes me wonder why I didn't think of it you know?!

You'll have to forgive me, no picture. We has a school function tonight and everyone scarfed it down before I realized I hadn't taken a picture. But believe me....it really is that good!!!!

Two Sauce Weeknight Lasagna Bowls

Ingredients

  • Salt
  • 1 pound Campanelle pasta
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 pound pancetta, a couple of thick slices, chopped
  • 3/4 pound ground beef pork and veal mix or ground beef
  • 1/2 large carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
  • 1 small to medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped or grated, 1 peeled
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice, a couple of pinches
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Nutmeg, to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus some to pass at table
  • A handful fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped

Directions

Heat large pot of water to a boil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.

While pasta water comes to a boil, heat olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, add pancetta and render 2 to 3 minutes then add meat and break up as it browns. When the meat has begun to caramelize and develops a nice brown color, 4 to 5 minutes, add carrot, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, allspice, salt and pepper and a bay leaf. Cook 3 to 4 minutes more to soften onions and carrots bits then stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in wine and cook out 1 minute then stir in stock and reduce heat to simmer.

While red sauce cooks, cut remaining whole clove of garlic and rub the inside of a medium sauce pot with it. Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk together a minute or so then whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, reduce heat then season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, thicken 8 to 10 minutes.

Toss pasta with white sauce and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Serve pasta in individual bowls and top with a ladle of meat sauce in the middle of the bowl for mixing in. Garnish with parsley.


HAPPY EATING!!!!

3 comments:

Melody said...

This sounds like a real pleaser! I need to bookmark this one. Thanks!

teresa said...

mmmm, i love me some lasagne!

MaryBeth said...

I also have seen t his episode and loved the sound and the look of this dish...did it taste as great as I thought it would?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin