Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pineapple Pepper Chicken (crockpot)

I didn't realize how far off the radar i've become!!! My sincerest apologies!

I've been cooking and eating and forgetting to do anything about it! Guess it's a big case of the lazies!!

So recently I made this fab dish. I originally found it on FabulesslyFrugal.com. I love reading about all her freezer cooking. I'll be using several of her dishes when we get closer to having this baby! The newest one I've tried was a HUGE hit. I didn't make it as a freezer meal, just made it on the night I had it set on my menu.

Pineapple Pepper Chicken (in the crockpot)
2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice-the juice leftover in the cans I used came up just short, you might want to buy 1 extra can of pineapples to make up the difference
1 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 whole chicken-cut up or left whole, I left mine whole
1 can (8 oz.) pineapple chunks, undrained - *see above note*
1 medium green pepper (or red as the case may be-they are on a super sale at our store so I substituted those-use what you like)

Place thawed chicken and other ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. 30 minute before it is finished add pineapple and green pepper, cook an additional 30 minutes. Serve over rice (we had noodles with ours).

OR: Place chicken in a 13x 9 pan. Heat sauce on stove until it starts to thicken. Pour sauce over chicken. DO NOT over fill the pan. There will be extra sauce. Pour sauce in a container and freeze so you can make this dish again later! Place pan in oven at 350° and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven place peppers and pineapple on top and bake for an additional 15 minutes.


I recommend using the crockpot, but by all means if you don't have the time then use the oven. I like any excuse to NOT turn on my oven in the heat of an AZ summer. Plus in the crockpot you get to smell it's citrusy awesomeness all day long!! I HIGHLY recommend this dish. It was sssssooooooo good. And like me if you use a whole chicken, save the bones for making stock and add whatever juices you have leftover. I did and the stock it made was heaven for sure!!

Thanks Fabulessly Frugal for another FAB recipe!!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin