Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken Bouillabaisse

My dad's birthday is January 1. We were lucky enough to have them here over the holidays so we got to celebrate it with him. So for the occassion I wanted to do something special for dinner. Around here the birthday person gets to choose their dinner. Whatever they want. Well I did it a little differently this time, I chose for him. Sort of a surprise. I did ask him for his dessert and so he knew about that (peach pie....yum!). So I decided to make him bouillabaisse. He loves it and hasn't had it in ssssooooo long. However, not everyone in my house is a traditional bouillabaisse fan so I planned on something a little different. I'm a HUGE fan of Barefoot Contessa on food network. And one particular day I saw her making a chicken bouillabaisse. PERFECT!!!!!! So I had it all planned. And I made it and we loved it and we ate it all!!! I made some minor changes from the original recipe to suit our taste buds. It was sssooo good. We walked away feeling very full and very satisfied. This one is going into my archives to do again!!!
Sorry no picture.......

Chicken Bouillabaisse

Ingredients

  • 1 (4 to 5-pound) chicken, cut into 10 pieces
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
  • 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
  • 2 1/2 cups good chicken stock, preferably homemade
  • 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
  • 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced

Directions

Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season it generously with salt, pepper, ground mustard and the rosemary. Place chicken in crock pot.

Place heat on low and add other ingredients except potatoes and carrots. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, checking periodically.

With about 1 hour left add potatoes and carrots to pot.

Cover the pot and let finish cooking until chicken is tender and falling off bone and the potatoes aren't too mushy. Nothing worse than mushy potatoes when they aren't supposed to be mushy! bleh!!

Serve with favorite crusty bread or favorite homemade loaf!!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin